Landlord fined for failing to have boiler inspected

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert February 6, 2010 16:11

Carbon monoxide flooded the kitchen of a property after a landlord failed to have a boiler service, it has been reported.

According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), landlord Graham Barnes, 49, from Bicester Road in Kidlington was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £1,957.70 in costs for not having the gas appliances of the home he rented out checked for safety or correctly maintained, despite warnings.

By law, UK landlords must schedule at least one gas appliance and boiler service a year with a boiler engineerfrom the Gas Safety Register.

A gas safety certificate must then be given to the tenants.

HSE inspector Dozie Azubike said the incident was a "clear case" of a property professional putting people at risk by ignoring his responsibilities.

"As a result of the boiler not being serviced, carbon monoxide leaked into the kitchen creating a very dangerous environment," he added.

The HSE has also reported an unregistered boiler engineer has been prosecuted for installing gas appliances at a caravan park.

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert February 6, 2010 16:11

Membership Login

Register| Forgot Password?


Recent Member Comments

  • Carlo Gaudiano { Dear Landlord Expert. I have two tenants in a spacious 2 double bedroom garden flat. I want to allow them to sublet the 2nd double... }
  • User AvatarJohn Walters { need advice on a difficult situation please. I have a very difficult and aggressive tenant in Bolton who refuses to pay rent or move out... } – Jun 01, 10:41 AM
  • Philip Haworth { Is there a letter to raise order for possession of the property. }
  • User AvatarLandlord Expert { We do not know of any issues. There have been 3 questions submitted today and have been published although I see none for you. Providing... } – Apr 20, 4:51 PM
  • User AvatarJazz Sounds { Is something wrong with your site? In your "ask a question" section I am unable to post my question. I am also unable to view... } – Apr 18, 10:37 AM
  • Older »

News Archive