Can I sell my house?

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert March 7, 2013 15:41

I have tenants in my house on an AST which commenced 26th October 2012 for 1 year.

Recently they have started to mess me about with the rent, Missed Feb completely, £50 short in April and now £250 short in June. No explanations, no effort to pay it back.

I have a mortgage on the property, which they are fully aware of. I now want to sell the house and give them two months Notice. However because they were honest and told me they had a CCJ and were tight for spare cash I let them off the references and took no deposit. I understand that this invalidates the Section 21 that was signed on commencement of the Tenancy.

Can you please advise what I have to do in order to sell my house and stay within the law. I can pursue them in a small claims court for my rent after the sale? I do not expect them to pay the rent once I tell them that I am selling, what further action should I / can I take in this situation please?

I am at my wits end, please advise.

Many thanks

Sue Diggines

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert March 7, 2013 15:41

Membership Login

Register| Forgot Password?


Recent Member Comments

  • Carlo Gaudiano { Dear Landlord Expert. I have two tenants in a spacious 2 double bedroom garden flat. I want to allow them to sublet the 2nd double... }
  • User AvatarJohn Walters { need advice on a difficult situation please. I have a very difficult and aggressive tenant in Bolton who refuses to pay rent or move out... } – Jun 01, 10:41 AM
  • Philip Haworth { Is there a letter to raise order for possession of the property. }
  • User AvatarLandlord Expert { We do not know of any issues. There have been 3 questions submitted today and have been published although I see none for you. Providing... } – Apr 20, 4:51 PM
  • User AvatarJazz Sounds { Is something wrong with your site? In your "ask a question" section I am unable to post my question. I am also unable to view... } – Apr 18, 10:37 AM
  • Older »

News Archive