Tenant negligence over a faulty boiler

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert March 5, 2013 16:41

My tenant let me know that the water was going cold while she was having a shower, and that she was resetting the boiler after each shower. I had taken out British Gas insurance for boiler problems, and offered either to meet a British Gas engineer there, or for her to meet him. She wished to meet him herself, for reasons of privacy, I suppose. I asked her to let me know when he would be there, but six days later, not having heard further from her, I contacted her and found out that she still hadnt made an appointment with an engineer. She asked if I would, but still wished to meet him herself at her flat. I made the appointment, and the British Gas engineer said he was unable to do work on that boiler (British Gas told me that there was a blockage, but that they dont do work on Keston boilers in some areas!) I arranged to meet another gas engineer at the flat that afternoon, but my tenant objected, and arranged to meet him there herself instead the following evening. This engineer reported that because the tenant been resetting the boiler so many times, it would be risky to repair it as there was no knowing how many components have been damaged from the boiler being reset so frequently. Therefore even after replacing the heat exchanger, other components would also turn out to need replacing, because constantly resetting a boiler damages various component. I therefore have to have a whole new boiler installed.

I think my tenant was negligent in not reporting to me straight away on the problem with the boiler, and then for not contacting the British Gas engineer when she agreed to, rather than me meeting an engineer in the flat. I believe she should therefore be responsible for some of the difference of cost between having the boiler repaired and of the purchase and installation of a new boiler.

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert March 5, 2013 16:41

Membership Login

Register| Forgot Password?


Recent Member Comments

  • Carlo Gaudiano { Dear Landlord Expert. I have two tenants in a spacious 2 double bedroom garden flat. I want to allow them to sublet the 2nd double... }
  • User AvatarJohn Walters { need advice on a difficult situation please. I have a very difficult and aggressive tenant in Bolton who refuses to pay rent or move out... } – Jun 01, 10:41 AM
  • Philip Haworth { Is there a letter to raise order for possession of the property. }
  • User AvatarLandlord Expert { We do not know of any issues. There have been 3 questions submitted today and have been published although I see none for you. Providing... } – Apr 20, 4:51 PM
  • User AvatarJazz Sounds { Is something wrong with your site? In your "ask a question" section I am unable to post my question. I am also unable to view... } – Apr 18, 10:37 AM
  • Older »

News Archive