Tenant seeks bond return via county court

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert December 2, 2013 16:45

Through naivety as I only own one property that I let and manage it myself, I did not place the bond in the correct scheme 4 years ago when the tenancy began (500) the tenant vacated and left the property in a terrible state. They had decorated so badly and let their dog urinate on the carpets that the whole house had to be re-decorated and carpets changed in order to make it lettable again. This cost in excess of £2000 and intended to retain the bond to off-set the costs and fully expected to have to write-off the difference.
However the tenants have sought advice and started a county court claim for the return of the bond.
My question is if I defend the claim and enter the costs incurred as a counter claim will the judge accept and take these into account or can he ignore my counter-claim entirely because I didnt deposit the money correctly and order me to re-pay the bond and also add on a fine for not using the scheme of 3 x the bond i.e. £1500?

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert December 2, 2013 16:45

Membership Login

Register| Forgot Password?

Recent Member Comments

  • Philip Haworth { Is there a letter to raise order for possession of the property. }
  • User AvatarLandlord Expert { We do not know of any issues. There have been 3 questions submitted today and have been published although I see none for you. Providing... } – Apr 20, 4:51 PM
  • User AvatarJazz Sounds { Is something wrong with your site? In your "ask a question" section I am unable to post my question. I am also unable to view... } – Apr 18, 10:37 AM
  • User AvatarDiane Lo { Tenant sublet his room to airnub guest without my knowledge. The airnub guest injured her foot and is now trying to claim compensation from us.... } – Apr 05, 10:55 AM
  • User Avatardenise minton { A boiler at my flat broke and it took 3 plumbers before one finally could have the time to repair it. My tenant was without... } – Feb 13, 9:04 PM
  • Older »

News Archive