Site user guide
Welcome to the LandlordExpert.co.uk user guide.
LandlordExpert.co.uk is The largest landlord website in the UK in terms of traffic and membership. The version of the website you see before you is the latest in the series of LandlordExpert.co.uk websites. This new version (launched Oct 2009) uses the very latest Web 2.0 technology. Web 2.0 draws together the capabilities of client- and server-side software, content syndication and the use of network protocols. Standards-oriented web browsers may use plugins and software extensions to handle the content and the user interactions. Web 2.0 sites provide users with information storage, creation, and dissemination capabilities that were not possible in the environment now known as "Web 1.0".
Web 2.0 websites typically include some of the following features and techniques.
1. Search: Finding information through keyword search.
2. Links: Guides to other related information.
3. Authoring: The ability to create and update content leads to the collaborative work of many rather than just a few web authors. In wikis, users may extend, undo and redo each other's work. In blogs, posts and the comments of individuals build up over time.
4. Tags: Categorization of content by users adding one-word descriptions to facilitate searching, without dependence on pre-made categories. This is referred to as "folksonomy."
5. Extensions: Software that makes the Web an application platform as well as a document server.
6. Signals: The use of syndication technology such as RSS to notify users of content changes.
Our services - the homepage modules explained
'Member FAQ's LIVE' homepage module
This service is located via its homepage module - 'Member FAQ's LIVE'. Any member can post an FAQ which is then displayed immediately in the live feed within this module. Members can read and/or comment on current FAQ's past or present or alternatively create their own by clicking on the 'Submit your FAQ' link once in the facility. Members can email any FAQ page to a friend or colleague or to a fellow landlord.
'Popular Tags' homepage module
A tag cloud or word cloud (or weighted list in visual design) is a visual depiction of user-generated tags, or simply the word content of a site, used typically to describe the content of web sites. Tags are usually single words and are typically listed alphabetically, and the importance of a tag is shown with font size or color. Thus both finding a tag by alphabet and by popularity is possible. The tags are usually hyperlinks that lead to a collection of items that are associated with a tag.
'Latest Comments' homepage module
This module provides a live feed of comments posted across the entire website in order of most recent. Each comment is linked to the article or page to which it was posted. Only members and administrators can post comments across the website.
'Most Commented' homepage module
This module provides a live feed of comments belonging to the articles or pages with the most replies/comments. Similar to the 'Latest Comments' module.
'Landlord Insurance Center' homepage module
This is a module that links to a page on the website that details the leading specialist companies who either supply or broker insurance for landlords. The most comprehensive selection of landlord and buy to let insurance providers in the UK.
Navigating the website
There is a site-wide main menu (the maroon horizontal strip) which provides links to most of our services. However, the homepage uses the dynamic module set-up displaying all of the services we offer via modules, or 'windows', which provides an interactive dashboard to the user. Once clicking on any homepage link, sub-pages are often framed using secondary navigation modules. This allows the user to 'drill-down' further until the exact item of information is found.
Searching the website
- The website has a search bar at the top of every page. You can find related pages, articles or comments relating to any subject. The search facility works like any other but in addition it also searches the popular tags given to pages/posts/articles essentially allowing fellow users to help one another find relevant information. The search facility Finds information through keyword search. There is an advanced search facility which allows you to search the websites content through filters.
For all available documents Click here
- UK landlords register scrapped by new government
- The Landlord Associations recommended Panel of Insurance Brokers
- Buyers, renters, house prices and finance - ingredients for 'stale-mate' in the property market
- Energy Performance Certifcates
- Interior Designers