Landlord fined for failing to have boiler inspected

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert February 6, 2010 16:11

Carbon monoxide flooded the kitchen of a property after a landlord failed to have a boiler service, it has been reported.

According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), landlord Graham Barnes, 49, from Bicester Road in Kidlington was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £1,957.70 in costs for not having the gas appliances of the home he rented out checked for safety or correctly maintained, despite warnings.

By law, UK landlords must schedule at least one gas appliance and boiler service a year with a boiler engineerfrom the Gas Safety Register.

A gas safety certificate must then be given to the tenants.

HSE inspector Dozie Azubike said the incident was a "clear case" of a property professional putting people at risk by ignoring his responsibilities.

"As a result of the boiler not being serviced, carbon monoxide leaked into the kitchen creating a very dangerous environment," he added.

The HSE has also reported an unregistered boiler engineer has been prosecuted for installing gas appliances at a caravan park.

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert February 6, 2010 16:11

Membership Login

Register| Forgot Password?


Recent Member Comments

  • User AvatarDave Osbourne { Had a blocked gully which tenant ignored after recent rain had the lounge and hall partly flooded the floor is going to be replaced but... } – Oct 16, 4:47 PM
  • User AvatarFiona Bullock { Dear Sir, I have received a text and email from my tenants saying they wish to end their tenancy of 3 years with effect from... } – Jul 05, 12:55 PM
  • User Avatarchristine clare timmins { Hi Rahima - Did you manage to resolve your problem? I am new to this site and saw your dilemma - we are about to... } – Jun 28, 9:12 PM
  • User AvatarShani Zvi { Hey, I need an advise regarding the TDS registration. The agency I'm working with claims that they need to register the tenant Zero Deposit scheme... } – Jun 04, 11:43 AM
  • Amanda Harrison { Advise needed }
  • Older »

News Archive