Legal advice please

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert March 4, 2014 11:39

Hi, I looking for some advice. I moved abroad last year and I put my UK property in the hands of what I thought was a reputable letting agent (how wrong I was!!!) I specifically asked for no housing benefit tenants (they said they dont deal with housing benefit tenants) and low and behold when my brother contacted the tenant about some repair work she told him that the letting agents knew all along she would be housing benefit tenant. She had signed a 6 month lease so I took the opportunity to end her tenancy at the end of Jan - she refused to move out and told the letting agent the day she should have moved out that she wouldnt be moving out. She paid her rent but again refused to move out. So the letting agent started court proceedings (on my authorisation). what I really want to know is the best way to reclaim the 175 GBP that I paid out for the court costs. The letting agents are saying that I cant claim the refund from her deposit (through the deposit scheme) and that I have to continue with court proceedings. Any advice welcome.

Landlord Expert
By Landlord Expert March 4, 2014 11:39


Recent Member Comments

  • User AvatarDave Osbourne { Had a blocked gully which tenant ignored after recent rain had the lounge and hall partly flooded the floor is going to be replaced but... } – Oct 16, 4:47 PM
  • User AvatarFiona Bullock { Dear Sir, I have received a text and email from my tenants saying they wish to end their tenancy of 3 years with effect from... } – Jul 05, 12:55 PM
  • User Avatarchristine clare timmins { Hi Rahima - Did you manage to resolve your problem? I am new to this site and saw your dilemma - we are about to... } – Jun 28, 9:12 PM
  • User AvatarShani Zvi { Hey, I need an advise regarding the TDS registration. The agency I'm working with claims that they need to register the tenant Zero Deposit scheme... } – Jun 04, 11:43 AM
  • Amanda Harrison { Advise needed }
  • Older »

News Archive